The continued efforts of all committee members over the past number of years have been inspirational and have brought the Carnival from a concept to a successful event which is now bringing thousands of visitors to the town every year and adding a much needed boost to the local economy. Without their dedication and support none of this would be possible. The contribution by each individual member of the committee was invaluable and made for a very successful Carnival in 2017.
The 2017 Carnival re-emphasised what has always been the focus of this event and that is to promote Carrick-on-Shannon as the go-to destination for all types of visitors and tourists. We, once again, had thousands of visitors and held lots of free family orientated events which has really started to put this event on the social guide, not just in the local region, but also on a much wider all Ireland scale. Events such as the Air Displays, the Fireworks, the Battle of the Musicals and the Taste of Carrick were all huge successes and are still being talked about today. These events are the corner stone of the carnival and we should aim to build on these to make them bigger and better every year.
The Carnival costs both time and money to keep its momentum and so to all the sponsors who gave so generously again in 2017, many thanks. Without these necessary funds the Carnival would not have its current profile and would not attract the level of visitors we see every year.
Also a big thank you to all the stewards and volunteers who gave up their time to help out during some of the key events, their help was invaluable and meant that we could take on the challenge of some of the bigger events knowing we had the support of the local community behind the committee.
And finally to all the local groups who support the Carnival in 2017:
- Murtaghs for providing the venue for our Tuesday evening meetings as well as many other unseen tasks and services they have provided and continue to provide to the Carnival committee
- All the groups, judges and instructors who participated in Battle of the Musicals
- The rowing club for proving access to their club for many of the free events
- The Leitrim Vintage Car club, the RSA, the Army and Air Corp for providing great family friendly displays
- Waterways Ireland, Failte Ireland and Leitrim Tourism for their continued support of the Carnival
- The Gardaí for their support and also the people and traffic management during all the main events
- The County Council and the Civil Defence for providing all the additional auxiliary services needed for the Carnival such as manpower, barriers, water safety support and bins
- The Chamber of Commerce – in particular Colm and Monica – who provided support and assistance throughout the year in supporting all events and providing the use of their offices on numerous occasions
- Gerry Faughnan for taking so much of his own time to follow, photograph and post the many events over the Carnival
- And finally to everyone who supported all the events over the 10 day Carnival by attending the events and most importantly, by actively promoting the Carnival through word of mouth.
The Carnival has come a long way in the last 5 years and with the continued support of the entire community, both local and abroad, it will continue to evolve and develop into, what I am sure will be, one of the best events in the region and make Carrick-on-Shannon a place people want to come to visit time and time again.